Miss Day-After-Tomorrow and the Game of Time
By Adina Rosetti
Translation: Adina Stanciu
Miss Day-After-Tomorrow’s Farce
Well, yes, one day, Miss Day-After-Tomorrow was getting bored. She went to the tower where lived the Wizard of Time, the one who watches over everything and who takes care of turning every Day the pointers of the giant clock from the top of the tower. (Since the beginning of Time, the Wizard never failed, not even a single time. And Time has always passed the same way. Not too fast and not too slow.)
– Come on, uncle, pleaseeeee, said Miss Day-After-Tomorrow, fawning. Make Time pass faster! I am tired of being so young and of living in the Future! I want to grow up and run into the Present, just to see what is happening there!
Even though she was his favourite niece and he enjoyed fulfilling her wishes, this time the old Wizard replied:
– This is impossible, my child! Everything has its own Time!
– But I want it, I want it, I want it! the little one yelled, stomping her feet like the spoiled girl she was. However, the Wizard did not pay attention to her anymore, as he did not like spoiled children one bit. Therefore, Miss Day-After-Tomorrow burst into tears and started running all across the three kingdoms.
Meanwhile, in the marshes of the smelly swamp, the Witch NeverNever was waiting for her moment of revenge. However, she did not dare to go out of her swamp, because there was always someone on guard at the borders of the three kingdoms. Therefore, most of the times she was happy mixing weeds in a cauldron and muttering words known only to her. Suddenly, she saw something like a coloured stain approaching her. That was Miss Day-After-Tomorrow hopping around in the mud, dirting her beautiful silk dress.
– What are you doing here, my child? The Witch NeverNever asked, with a sweet voice.
– Oh, my uncle is so obnoxious! He won’t let me play with Time!
– But who is your uncle? Is he perhaps His Majesty, the Wizard of Time? Is he the one with a long, down-to-the ground, white beard, who lives at the top of the tower?
Witch NeverNever was feeling in the wind the air the moment of revenge and she could hardly stop herself from giggling with excitement.
– Yes, yes, that it is exactly him!, Day-After-Tomorrow said, continuing to whine. I want to grow up faster and he won’t let me fast forward Time. He said ” Everything has its own Time!,” what a bunch of nonsense!
”Yeah, this is exactly what he told me before he drove me away! Now it is payback time!,“ the Witch whispered, smiling to herself.
– Look, Miss, there is no need for you to cry! Take this broth (and the Witch slipped a little bottle full of a gray-green liquor into her pocket) and every night pour a little bit in your uncle’s tea. That will make him fall asleep and then you will be able to cling yourself to those pointers of the giant clock. In this way you can move the Time back and forth, just as you please!
Day-After-Tomorrow left happy and hopeful, while the Witch remained in front of the pot with weeds, grinning and whispering her venomous words:
It will never rain with pink butterflies
The vacation will never come by train from France
Children will never grow wings
Time will never pass again as it should pass!
Said and done! Miss Day-After-Tomorrow listened to the malicious advice of Witch NeverNever without thinking even for a moment that she was doing a bad thing. Under the influence of the potion, The Wizard of Time fell asleep immediately, while she clinged by the pointers of the giant clock. Although the pointers were stiff and full of weeds and cobwebs, she managed to move them and to push them forward.